Rice with Pigeon Peas “Arroz con Gandules “
Rice with Pigeon Peas is Puerto Rico’s national dish. Any special occasion meal in Puerto Rice would not be complete without Arroz con Gandules. The rice gets a deliciously unique flavor from the ham, sofrito, and tomato sauce.
Author: Imusa Chef Team
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
- Long-grain white rice 2 cups
- 15oz can of pigeon peas 1
- 8oz can of tomato sauce 1
- Sofrito 2 tbsp
- Diced cooking ham 1 cup
- Salt & pepper To taste
- In the IMUSA caldero, heat oil over medium heat. Add the tomato sauce, sofrito and ham, mix well to coat. Cover and cook over low heat until it begins to simmer; about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and mix well to coat. Add 4 cups water and raise the heat. Once the mixture has come to a boil, add salt & pepper, (taste the water) reduce the heat to low and cover.
- Cook uncovered, stirring frequently until the rice is moist and the water is mostly evaporated-5 to 10 minutes.
- Add additional salt & pepper (if needed) and serve immediately.