Chorizo and Seafood Paella
Paella is a traditional rice dish originating from Spain. Today paella is made all over the world using just about any ingredient that goes with rice – from shellfish, squid, vegetables, chicken or pork. This paella recipe uses chorizo, squid, scallops, and shrimp to creat a dish sure to impress your guests!
Author: George Duran
Recipe type: Dinner, Lunch
- chicken stock 3 cups
- dry white wine ½ cup
- saffron 1 pinch
- Olive oil ½ cup
- chorizo links (6 oz.), 2
- medium onion 1
- garlic cloves 3
- medium grain rice 1½ cup
- paprika 2 teaspoons
- salt 1 teaspoon
- cans of diced tomatoes 1 (14.5 ounce)
- squid 8 ounces
- baby scallops 8 ounces
- large shrimp 10
- frozen green peas 1 cup
- In a small saucepan heat chicken stock and white wine with saffron and keep warm.
- Inside your 16-inch IMUSA paella pan add olive oil and bring to medium-high heat.
- Add chorizo, onions, and garlic and sauté for about 3-4 minutes, making sure you brown both side of each chorizo coin.
- Add canned tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes until most of the liquid has been evaporated.
- Add squid and scallops and cook for about a minute.
- Mix in rice, paprika, and salt and stir until well combined
- Add about half of the warm chicken stock and allow to simmer on medium-low heat for 5 minutes without stirring. Move the paella pan around the heat source every 5 minutes and rotate it often so that the rice cooks evenly.
- Add the rest of the stock and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Lay the shrimp on top of rice in a circular pattern and cook for about 5 minutes until the first side is pink. Flip the shrimp and cook the paella for 15-25 minutes, until rice is cooked and liquid is evaporated, remembering to continue to rotate the pan every 5 minutes. If the rice seems too dry, add a small amount of water and cook a bit longer.
- Sprinkle frozen green peas and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Season with salt as needed.
- Note: You can add clams, mussels, and lobster (boil them separately) to this dish when you add the shrimp.