Mofongo “Plantain Mash”
Mofongo is a fried plantain-based dish from Puerto Rico. It is typically made with fried green plantains mashed with spices and pork cracklings or bits of bacon. You can top it with vegetables, seafood, chicken, pork, or beef.
Author: Imusa Chef Team
Recipe type: Breakfast, Snack, Brunch
- Green plantains 6-8
- Head of garlic 1
- Salt 2 tsp
- Pork or ham steak 1 Package
- Add the salt pork or ham pieces to your IMUSA pan, and cook until crispy then set aside.
- Fill your IMUSA Dutch oven half way with water, add salt cover and bring to a boil.
- While the water is boiling, peel your plantains and cut into 2 inch pieces then add to water. Cook plantains until soft; drain (reserving the water into another pot), then add plantains to a large bowl.
- Using a potato masher or pilon, start mashing your plantains and slowly mixing in your garlic and pork or ham pieces. Spoon in some of the hot liquid reserve if mixture starts to get to sticky.
- Using a small soup bowl; spoon some of the mixture in and then turn upside down onto a flat plate and serve immediately.