Shredded Beef “Ropa Vieja”
Ropa Vieja or “Old Clothes”, refers to a traditional recipe popular in the Canary Islands, Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the Caribbean. This delicious recipe is composed of tender shredded beef with a tomato based sauce full of spices and flavor.
Author: Ana Quincoces
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
- Salt 2 tsp
- Whole black peppercorn 1 Tbsp
- Flank steak 2 Lbs.
- Olive oil ½ Cup
- Garlic cloves 3
- Medium green bell pepper 1
- Medium red bell pepper 1
- Tomato sauce 2 Cups
- Bay leaf 1
- White pepper ½ tsp
- Ground cumin ½ tsp
- Ground oregano ½ tsp
- Dry wine 1 Cup
- Lime juice ½ a lime
- Canned peas, for garnish ½ Cup
- Chopped pimientos, for garnish ¼ Cup
- Combine 11⁄2 quarts water, 1 teaspoon of the salt and the peppercorns in a large IMUSA SAUCE POT OR CALDERO and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add flank steak and reduce the heat to low. Cover the IMUSA sauce pot or caldero and simmer over low heat for 11⁄2 to 2 hours, until the meat is nice and tender.
- Heat the olive oil in a large 12” IMUSA SAUTÉ PAN over medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, and bell peppers, and sauté for about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the tomato sauce, bay leaf, pepper, cumin, oregano, and remaining teaspoon of salt, and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the dry wine and continue boiling for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for additional 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside. Drain the flank steak and let it cool to room temperature on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Use your hands to shred the beef into long strips; if you shred it along the grain it should come apart easily. Season the steak with salt and pepper and with the IMUSA LIME SQUEEZER, squeeze lime juice and add it to the tomato mixture. Stir to coat the meat with the sauce.
- Cook over medium low heat for at least 20-30 minutes to allow the flavors to come together. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Garnish with peas and pimentos and serve with white rice.