Sopes are a staple in Mexican cuisine – they are little masa patties that are topped with a choice of fillings ranging from cheese, avocado, chicken, beans, and beef.
Author: IMUSA Chef Team
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
- corn tortilla flour or “masa harina de maiz” 1 pound
- boiling water 5 to 6 cups
- cooking oil
- In a bowl, place the tortilla flour.
- Add the hot water one cup at a time mixing with a spoon.
- When the masa gets to the consistency of new “play dough” take it out and kneed with your hands for 10 minutes. If the masa is too runny add more flour, if it is too dry, add more water.
- Using a ⅓ cup as a measuring tool, divide the masa into approximately 17 balls.
- Make 2 rounds of plastic out of a plastic supermarket bag, the same size as the pressing surface of your IMUSA tortilla press. Place one of the plastic rounds on the bottom surface of the IMUSA tortilla press then place one of the masa balls in the center. Add the other plastic round on top then close the tortilla press and press gently. The masa round should be 4 inches in diameter and about ¼ inch thick.
- Heat your non-stick IMUSA Comal at medium high heat and place the masa round. Allow it to cook for one minute. Turn the masa round on the other side and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more or until you have golden spotting on the bottom. Turn again and cook 1 more minute on the other side.
- Remove the thick tortilla from the Comal and set aside in a clean kitchen cloth to keep warm. Make half following the same procedure.
- Using your index finder, middle finger and thumb pinch around the edges of your thick tortilla to create the rim. This is done when the thick tortillas are still warm but not too hot to touch. Finish the other half of the dough using the same procedure.
- To serve the sopes, add oil to the IMUSA Comal on medium heat for one minute while you are adding your toppings. Serve along with your favorite salsa.