Vietnamese Caramel Shrimp Stir-fry
This dish is so delicious and easy you won’t believe it! This recipe uses brown sugar to caramelize the shrimp and has layers of flavors from shallots, thai chiles, siracha sauce, and Asian fish sauce!
Author: Ana Quincoces
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
- uncooked extra-large shrimp 1 pound
- peanut oil 2 tablespoons
- Sesame oil 1 tablespoon
- dark brown sugar 3 tablespoons
- garlic cloves 2
- shallot 1
- small hot Thai chiles 2
- Sriracha sauce 1 tablespoon
- chicken stock ¼ cup
- Asian fish sauce 1 tablespoon
- rice wine vinegar 1 tablespoon
- Low sodium soy sauce 1 tablespoon
- cilantro 3 tablespoons
- Heat the oil in an IMUSA wok over medium-high heat until it smokes lightly.
- Add the shrimp and the brown sugar and stir-fry for 2 to 2 ½ minutes.
- Add the garlic and shallot and stir-fry for another 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to high and immediately add the stock, fish sauce and soy sauce
- Let this boil down until the sauce has thickened and reduced by half. This should only take a few more minutes.
- Serve immediately topped with freshly chopped cilantro with some jasmine rice.