Classic Mexican Red Rice
Mexican rice is known as "Arroz Rojo" in Mexico and it is a savory tomato-flavored side dish that goes well with any Mexican-themed meal!
Author: IMUSA Chef Team
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
- chicken broth or water 2 cups
- white onion ½
- garlic clove 1
- ripe Roma or Saladette tomato (or ¼ cup of tomato puré) 1
- Salt 1 tablespoon
- vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
- long grain rice 1 cup
- carrots 1
- frozen peas ¼ cup
- Serrano Chile 1
- Blend the chicken broth, onion, garlic and tomatoes. Using an IMUSA strainer, strain and set aside.
- Using an IMUSA Caldero, add the oil and heat over a medium flame.
- Add the rice. Stir for 3 minutes or until the rice grain is white on the inside and transparent on the outside.
- Add the chicken broth mixture to the rice. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil and add the carrots, peas, and whole *Serrano chile. Cover and place on low heat. (*You can also use Chile of preference)
- Continue cooking for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until the liquid evaporates. Do not uncover the rice for at least 15 minutes or it will not cook properly.