Caribbean Chicken Soup
Chilly outside? Defeat the winter with this healthy bone-warming soup from our Celebrity Chef Michelle Bernstein. Get your IMUSA Caldero ready and start cooking!
Author: Michelle Bernstein
Recipe type: Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 green tomatoes (if available), chopped
- 1 green pepper, cored, seeded, chopped
- 1 whole chicken, cut in 8 pieces
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 2 green plantains, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 yuca, peeled and cut in chunks
- 3 ears of corn, cut in 3 pieces
- 1 pumpkin or squash, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1 chayote, cut in ½ inch chunks
- Pinch of saffron
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Serrano pepper, chopped fine
- Juice of 1 lime
- Place the oil in a caldero and heat on medium-low. Add the onions, garlic and tomatoes and cook until the onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the green pepper, chicken, chicken broth or water and season with salt and pepper. Raise the heat to high, bring the broth to a boil then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add the plantains, yuca, corn, pumpkin, chayote and saffron, and simmer for 30 more minutes. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool. Pour about 2 cups of the soup, with vegetables, the cilantro and the chili into a blender and puree then pour back into the pot of soup. Shred the chicken, discard the bones and add the meat back into the soup. Heat through and add the lime juice just before serving.