Easy Lemon, Beet, and Butternut Squash Couscous
Did you know you could cook Couscous in a rice cooker? Couscous is a coarsely ground pasta made from semolina - a type of wheat. Use it as a delicious substitution to rice. This recipe includes beets and butternut squash to create a colorful and flavorful side dish.
Author: George Duran
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
Cuisine: More Favorite Recipes
- finely chopped onion 1 cup
- finely diced raw beets (about 3 medium beets) 2 cups
- pine cuts ½ cup
- butternut squash (about 8 oz.) 6 tablespoons
- cous cous 2 cups
- chicken stock 2 cups
- salt 2 teaspoons
- lemon zest 1 teaspoon
- lemon juice 1 tablespoon
- In a large sauté pan melt butter on moderate heat. Once bubbling, sautÃ© onions and beets until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add pine nuts and sautÃ© for 2 more minutes.
- Place cous cous inside IMUSA rice cooker and add entire beet mixture with the butter.
- Add chicken stock, salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice, and mix with the included rice scoop until well combined.
- Cover IMUSA rice cooker and plug it in. Press down on the Â“CookÂ” switch and allow to cook until switch flips back up automatically (about 5-7minutes).
- Mix and fluff up cous cous with a fork and leave on Â“warmÂ” until youÂ’re ready to serve.