Mexican Charro Beans
This classic Northern Mexican recipe uses bacon, jalapeno, cilantro, ham and Mexican beer to give a unique flavor to pinto beans.
Author: IMUSA Chef Team
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner
- Cans of whole Pinto Beans 2 (19.8 ounce)
- vegetable oil 1 tablespoon
- white onion 1
- tomatoes 1 pound
- bunch of cilantro ½
- jalapeno chiles 2
- slices bacon 5
- sliced deli ham 5
- dark Mexican beer 1
- salt 2 teaspoons
- In an IMUSA stock pot, heat the oil.
- Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly crisp on medium high heat.
- Add onion along with the salt and cook for another 3 minutes or until the onions are transparent.
- Add the ham, chiles, tomatoes and cilantro and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the 2 cans of pinto beans and bring to a boil.
- Add the beer and cook for another 7 to 10 minutes.