Guava Cheese Empanadas
Empanadas are pastries filled with either meat, seafood, or cheese. This recipe includes Guava paste with cream cheese - a classic Cuban combination. It is sweet and flavorful - perfect for breakfast, dessert, or a sweet snack!!
Author: Imusa Chef Team
Recipe type: Snack, Appetizer, Dessert
- Frozen empanada disks 1 Pack
- 1 package of low fat softened cream cheese 12 Oz.
- 1 can of guava paste cut into small cubes 16 Oz.
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- bowl with water
- Take each empanada disc and place a piece of your guava paste in the middle, then spoon a teaspoon of cream cheese on top. Fold the empanada in half to create a half moon shape.
- Dip your finger in water and wet the rounded side of your half moon. Using a fork, press on the round part to seal in your filling. Continue to do for the rest of your empanadas.
- Heat a large PTFE Nonstick saute pan or caldero and add oil to coat the whole pan.
- Once heated, add 2 or 3 empanadas, so they fit side by side. Cook on one side until golden brown then flip to do the same on the other. Once the empanada “bubbles” up, place on a platter lined with paper towel to let cool and soak up any excess oil.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and serve warm