Rustic Molcajete Salsa
Fresh salsas are a staple of the Mexican diet. Use of the volcanic rock Molcajete or mortar and pestle is important not only to grind the ingredients but to combine the flavors.
Author: IMUSA Chef Team
Recipe type: Appetizer, Snack
- clove of garlic 1
- salt 1 teaspoon
- cumin seeds 1 pinch
- black pepper corns 1 pinch
- Serrano or Jalapeno chiles to taste 1 to 4
- Roma or Saladet tomatoes 2
- Mexican beer ¼ cup
- apple cider vinegar 1 teaspoon
- Roast the chiles, onion, garlic and tomatoes on a hot IMUSA Comal or griddle.
- Peel the chiles and the tomatoes.
- After roasting the garlic, chiles, onions and tomatoes, crush all of ingredients one by one in a IMUSA Molcajete or lava rock mortar and pestle, starting with the spices and the garlic until all of the solid ingredients are in the Molcajete.
- Mix in the beer and cider.