Tiramisu Trifle with Espresso Chocolate Sauce
Ladyfingers dipped in espresso, layered with mascarpone cheese and topped with chocolate sauce, you will fall in love with this traditional Italian dessert!
Recipe type: Dessert
- 2 14oz packs of Italian lady fingers (crunchy)
- 1 c of granulated sugar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 3 eight ounce containers of mascarpone cheese
- ½ c. heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup freshly brewed espresso hot or warm
- ½ cup of condensed milk
- ½ cup Kahlua liquor
- 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cups bittersweet or semisweet chocolate curls
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large heat proof glass bowl beat egg yolks and sugar for 5 minutes on medium to high speed. Place bowl over a pot of simmering water and continue beating until the mixture doubles in size. Remove bowl from heat and add the containers of mascarpone cheese and continue beating until very smooth. Place bowl in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a separate bowl, beat heavy cream with 2 T of sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream mixture into the bowl of the cheese mixture and chill.
- In a shallow casserole dish combine ¾ c of the espresso, ¼ c of the Kahlua and the condensed milk. Dip the lady fingers in this espresso mixture one at a time and layer in the bottom of a trifle dish or any decorative dish you desire. Top first layer of lady fingers with a third of the cheese mixture. Repeat this process one or two more times depending on the size of you dish finishing with the cream. Sift the cocoa powder over the top layer of cream and top with the chocolate curls. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours in a trifle dish or 8 hours if slicing from a rectangular vessel.
- For the sauce:
- Right before serving, and in a medium saucepan bring the remaining ¼ cup of espresso and ¼ c of Kahlua to a boil over medium high heat. Remove from heat and add the 6 ounces of semisweet chips. Allow to stand 3 to 5 minutes until melted. Stir well until very smooth. Serve immediately with the Tiramisu- on the side