Shrimp Avocado and Caramelized Onion Quesadillas in Sun Dried Tomato Tortilla
This quesadilla recipe is layered with flavors from the sweet caramelized onions to the savory seasoned shrimp. Using an IMUSA quesadilla maker, you will have perfect quesadillas in no time!
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner, Snack
- large (sun dried tomato flavored) flour tortilla (regular flour tortillas may be used as well) 8
- Jack and Cheddar cheese 1 pound
- large, ripe yet firm avocado 1
- large shrimp 1 pound
- large sweet onion 1
- butter (plus more for brushing outside) 2 tablespoons
- olive oil 1 tablespoon
- sour cream ½ cup
- salt ¼ teaspoon
- cayenne pepper ¼ teaspoon
- fresh tomato salsa
- fresh cilantro
- In a medium skillet heat 1 T of butter and 1 T of olive oil over medium high heat.
- the thinly sliced onions stirring occasionally (but not too often) until caramelized. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add additional tablespoon of butter to pan and add the shrimp.
- Season the shrimp lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cook shrimp 2 to 3 minutes stirring frequently until opaque and lightly golden, remove from heat and set aside.
- Place 4 tortillas on a flat surface and divide HALF of the cheese among them.
- Next add the caramelized onion, shrimp and avocado.
- Top with the remaining half of the cheese, and another tortilla on top.
- Lightly brush the outside with a little melted butter or olive oil and place in a preheated IMUSA quesadilla maker.
- Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and tortilla attains a golden color and nice crisp.
- Add ¼ teaspoon each of salt and cayenne pepper to sour cream and stir to combine.
- Cut quesadillas into wedges using a pizza cutter and top with the sour cream, salsa, and chopped cilantro.