Tostones, a traditional side dish made of green plantain, are also known as "Patacones". There are several ways to add variety to this delicious staple in many Latin American and Caribbean countries - we show you how with this recipe using shrimp!
Author: Imusa Chef Team
Recipe type: Lunch, Dinner, Side Dish, Warm Appetizer, Snack
- Small cooked shrimp
- Large Diced Tomato 1
- Paprika 1 tsp
- Small onion
- Chopped cilantro ½ Cup
- Lemon juice 1 Tbsp
- Green plantains 2
- Vegetable oil
- Optional hot sauce*
- Combine the first six ingredients, mix well to coat and refrigerate the shrimp mixture for a couple before serving or overnight!
- Heat your IMUSA skillet and add about an inch of oil.
- Cut the plantains into ½ pieces and fry them in the hot oil until lightly browned. While removing each from the oil, press down on each with a wooden or non-stick spoon to hollow out the plantain so it looks like a small cup.
- Put each plantain cup back in the hot oil to let it crisp up some more. Another 5 minutes.
- Spoon in your cooled shrimp mixture into each cup and serve!