Chorizo & Ham Empanadas with Ranch Cilantro Dipping Sauce
Empanadas are a pastry filled with meat, seafood, or cheese. This delicious recipe combines chorizo & ham with a tomato-based sauce and accompanies it with a slightly spicy ranch dipping sauce!
Author: Ana Quincoces
Recipe type: Appetizer, Snack, Lunch, Dinner
- olive oil 2 tablespoons
- garlic clove 1
- onion ¼ cup
- green bell pepper ¼ cup
- tomato sauce ½ cup
- vino seco (dry white cooking wine) ¼ cup
- pepper ¼ teaspoon
- ground Spanish chorizo sausage ½ pound
- ground sweet ham
- salt 20
- discos para empanadas (frozen turnover pastry disks)
- thick ranch dressing (we like Marie’s) 1 cup
- hot sauce (like Tabasco) 1 to 2 tablespoons
- cilantro 1 to 2 teaspoons
- To make the filling, heat the oil in a shallow IMUSA pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic, onion, and bell pepper, and sautÃ© for 5 to 7 minutes, until soft.
- the tomato sauce, vino seco, and pepper, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chorizo and ham and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn the heat off and allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Taste and add salt, if necessary.
- Pre-Heat your IMUSA empanada maker by simply plugging it in. Your empanada maker is properly heated and ready to use once the green light turns on.
- Remove one package of the pastry disks from the refrigerator. (Always leave the ones you arenÂ’t working with in the refrigerator. They are easier to work with if they are firm.) Working on a lightly floured surface, separate the disks
- Place 1 to 1½ tablespoons in the center of each whole disk. Fold each disk to make a semicircle. Using the tines of a fork, press around the edges to seal.
- Bake in preheated IMUSA empanada maker for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- To make the dipping sauce, combine the ranch dressing and hot sauce in a bowl and garnish with the cilantro. Serve in a small bowl alongside the hot empanadas.