Cuban Inspired Penne Pasta with Chorizo and Ham
This pasta dish adds Cuban-Inspired flavors using Jamon Serrano and Chorizo in a creamy tomato based sauce.
Author: Ana Quincoces
Recipe type: Dinner, Lunch
- olive oil ¼ cup
- Spanish chorizo sausage ¾ pound
- pound jamón Serrano (Serrano ham) ½ pound
- medium onion 1
- garlic clove 1
- small green bell pepper 1
- tomato sauce 2 cups
- vino seco (dry white cooking wine) 3 tablespoons
- dried basil 1 teaspoon
- dried oregano leaves 1 teaspoon
- salt 1 teaspoon
- pepper ½ teaspoon
- paprika 1 teaspoon
- heavy cream ½ teaspoon
- rigatoni, penne, or other short, tube-shaped pasta 1 pound
- Parmesan cheese ½ cup
- whole-milk mozzarella cheese 1 cup
- Heat the olive oil in an IMUSA Jumbo cooker over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and ham, and cook for 3 minutes, until some of the fat is rendered from the ham.
- Add the onion, garlic, and bell pepper, and reduce the heat to medium. Sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, vino seco, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and paprika, and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the cream. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly and all the flavors have had an opportunity to meld. Set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions (do not add oil to the water, but do add salt); drain the pasta.
- Place the drained pasta into the jumbo cooker with the sauce and stir well until combined.
- Stir in half of the Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and continue cooking until the cheese is melted; adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- Serve immediately with the other half of the Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.